Can the server be a headless computer

Troubleshooting

Can the server be a headless computer

Postby funberry » 29 Sep 2017, 18:31

Can the server computer be "headless" ( no mouse no keyboard, no monitor ) ?
From my understanding , the monitor is not necessary on the server, but a working video card is necessary - probably because litemanager polls the video memory to read the image, and the video memory resides on the video card.
Which means that even if the server monitor is 1024x768 resolution, if the video card can display up to 1920x1080, litemanager can display on the "viewer" machine 1920x1080, or any other resolution supported by the video card.
So then, if the server was originally a 2 monitor system, where the primary monitor was driven by a video card, and the second monitor was driven by a USB-to-VGA adaptor, It would follow that when litemanager polls the monitor 2 video memory, that memory actually resides in system RAM. Then , would it still be necessary to keep the USB-VGA dongle connected? It seems to me all that would be required may be the USB-VGA software driver which implements the monitor 2 video in RAM. There would be no reason for the video signal to go out to the dongle, since there is nothing there.
Am I understanding this right?
funberry

Re: Can the server be a headless computer

Postby admin » 30 Sep 2017, 08:01

I think you have correct understanding.
but i'm not sure on 100%, just test it, litemanager has 30 days trial period or use Free version.

PS
If it will not work without monitor, try to connect first via RDP and after with LiteManager....
Best Regards LiteManagerTeam
admin
Администратор

Postby funberry » 30 Sep 2017, 15:48

Thank you kindly.
I have installed this and works well.
On problem though. viewer can only connect to server by IP address. ( the 2 computers are in the same room and on the same LAN. )
Using server ID number does not connect ( server shows "connecting", then "not connected" ). Using machine names, same thing.
Always connecting by IP is problematic for me, because, If I assign static IPs to machines on the LAN and disable DHCP, I also have to assign DNS server IPs -Windows forces you to do that. And my ISP's DNS server addresses change every few days ( they change among the same 6 or 7 IP numbers, but that's enough to prevent hard coding those numbers in ).
So, do you think the connecting by name or number feature will work once I register the product?
funberry

Postby admin » 01 Oct 2017, 06:28

So, do you think the connecting by name or number feature will work once I register the product?

I think no.
All must work without registration.

Using machine names, same thing.

This should work. Check ping cmd for machine name.
Use cmd
ipconfig /flushdns

Using server ID number does not connect ( server shows "connecting", then "not connected" ).

Outbound Internet connections for LiteManager allowed? (TCP/IP)
Best Regards LiteManagerTeam
admin
Администратор

Postby funberry » 03 Oct 2017, 04:43

Thank you, problem fixed.
On the viewer I added Lite manager to the firewall exceptions.
On the server, I could not find Lite Manager on the available app list, so I just disabled the entire firewall for a minute ( just as a proof-of-concept test ), and connection worked.
Then I re-enabled the firewall, and added "Remote Desktop" as an exception ( it was not checked previously), and the connection success was maintained.
This worked for connection by machine name, still not working for connection by number, but I am happy.
All the best.
funberry

Return to LiteManager: Support